Sunday, March 3, 2013

PORK STEW

I contribute weekly (most weeks) to Bountiful Baskets for my fruits and veggies...bread and tortillas also...well, and coconut and olive oil...oh yeah, and pure honey.  This coop is amazing.  When I just get the basket, it's $15 for at least 15 lbs of fruits and veggies.  Some I love, some I've never tried before, and some I'm not crazy about and usually hide them in recipes that overpower the taste of the particular veggie I, or someone in my family, doesn't like.  I did that today.  One of my teen girls is not a big fan of very many vegetables, so I have to desquise them in any way I can to give her the daily amount she needs.  I didn't go by any recipe, just started getting things out of the fridge.  First of all, I made some veggie stock from the CLEANED peelings of the vegetables I was using for the stew including the tops of the leeks and bell pepper, onion peels, carrot, potato and squash peelings and garlic peels.  I peeled the vegetables into a stock pan, covered those peelings with water, added some pepper corns, bay leaves, and about 2 tsps of chicken broth granules (just for a little added flavor).  I let that simmer for about an hour while I cut up my vegetables, then a poured the juice through strainer.  Came out GREAT!  It made about 2 1/2 quarts.  I used 1 quart for the stew, put some in an ice cube mold for individual stocks, and put the rest in a container and into the freezer for next time.  Saved about $5 on stock!!
The good thing about this stew is it is really fool proof.  You can add whatever vegetables you have on hand...fresh, frozen, or canned.  The meat is really by preference as well.  I used pork because there was a big sale on pork sirloin).  You can also use fresh or dried herbs and whatever stock you have or can make...the vegetable stock I made was very easy and tasted AWESOME.  Here is the recipe for the Pork stew!

1 ONION (the size depends on how much you LOVE onions)
1 mexican squash (dark green squash...not zuchini)
1 chayote squash
2 leeks (the white and light green part..I put the dark green leaves in the pot for the veggie stock)
1 bell pepper
1 chili pepper
1 jalepeno pepper
4 carrots
1 fresh tomato
5 butter potatoes..small to medium
1 cup sweet corn (fresh or frozen or 1 can sweet corn)
1 lrg can diced tomatoes (I had some fresh ones that I froze)
1 quart stock of choice
1 can rinsed black beans
4 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp fresh rosemary or 1tsp dried
2 tbsp fresh oregeno or 1 tbsp dried
1 tbsp fresh basil or 1 tsp dried
cilantro to taste...fresh or dried
1 lb pork sirloin
parsley
sea salt
pepper
fajita seasoning
about 1 tbsp barbque sauce ( I used tequilla barbque)

Peel and dice all vegetables and saute in large skillet until peppers and onions are tender (make sure potatoes do not get tender...just a little browned for taste.  While vegetables are sauteing, put fajita seasoning and barbque sauce on pork, coat, and add to heated George Forman.  Cook until browned...juices DO NOT have to run clear.  Add vegetables, meat, herbs, seasonings, and stock to Dutch Oven or stock pot and simmer for 1 hour (you can cook this until the potatoes and carrots are tender, but to get all of the flavors incorporated, at least 1 hour is best...I let me simmer for about 2 hours while I was running erands.)  This recipe could also be cooked in the crockpot...just add everything to the crockpot, bypassing the sauteing and grilling, for about 8-10 hours on low.  My friend says this is the best stew he has ever tasted. 
Note: To make this an easy weeknight meal, just dice veggies, grill pork for about 3 minutes, and add all to stock pan and bring to a rapid boil...boil for about 10-15 minutes, then lower to simmer for another 10 minutes or until all veggies are tender.  Enjoy with cornbread, or tortillas (I made no fry refried beans that I put on a flour tortilla with cheese...very tasty).

No comments:

Post a Comment