Wednesday, October 17, 2012

RECIPE - Chicken Spaghetti

I made the best chicken spaghetti yesterday, according to my family of critics.  I have made this dish ever since I can remember.  It was one of our favorites growing up and when my mother became a single parent when I was 12, I took over the task most of the time.  She always made it with cream of mushroom soup and velveeta cheese.  I have played with it over the years with the help of ideas from other people.  I do believe I have concocted the correct amount of ingredients from all recipes to come up with a GREAT combination.  Here is how it goes (I don't have EXACT amounts.  I grew up in a southern kitchen.  There was never any measuring utensils around):

2 chicken thigh/leg combo...whatever that's called (it's what I had on hand but I'm sure breasts would work just as well but make sure it has the skin on it) skinned and diced or shredded
1 large block of low fat velveeta -cubed (I have used mexican velveeta and it is great)
1 can low fat cream of mushroom
1 can low fat cream of chicken
1 can rotel (any heat that you like)
1 cup fat free sour cream or greek yogurt
1 onion
1 cup half and half
1 tbsp butter
1 16oz pkg of whole wheat spaghetti
salt and pepper to taste

Boil chicken (mine was frozen so I boiled it for about an hour) in a large pot of water.  Remove chicken from water and bring to a boil.  Add spaghetti.  While spaghetti is cooking, cut up onion and put in a microwave bowl.  Add butter and microwave until onions are tender.  In another large pot, add soups, velveeta, sour cream, rotel, chicken, and half and half.  Cook on medium heat, stirring very regularly until cheese is almost completely melted.  When onions are softened, add to soup mixture.  Drain spaghetti and add to soup mix and combine all ingredients until spaghetti is coated.  Put in 13X9 casserole dish and bake for about 30 minutes or until velveeta is complete melted and top is browned.  Let sit for about 10 minutes and eat with a salad.  It is mmmm mmm good.

This is not my picture (didn't really think to take that picture darn it), but it is what it resembles:

No comments:

Post a Comment