Friday, September 7, 2012

RECIPE REVIEW : recipe from Pinterest - Crockpot Chicken Parmesan

I was just a little skeptical about Chicken Parmesan in the crockpot, but I do love my crockpot, so I decided to give it a try.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I got the recipe on Pinterest and here: http://www.chef-in-training.com/2012/01/crock-pot-chicken-parmesan/.  I did a little tweaking in which I did not use a jar of marinara sauce.  I instead made my own.  I used some roated tomatoes I put up in the freezer.  I roast them by cutting up about 8 tomatoes, halve 2 jalepenos (seeded if you do not like a little more kick), and quarter a yellow onion.  I cut the tomatoes in half and place the skin side up on a cookie sheet (must have about 1 inch sides).  I then put the halved jalepenos and onions on top of the tomatoes.  I sprinkle about a tablespoon of garlic and 1 teaspoon of sea salt over the tomatoes, jalepenos, and onions.  Lastly, I drizzle about a tablespoon over the top.  I roast them in a 350 oven for about 1 1/2 hours.  Most people peel off the skin of the tomatoes at this point, but I just leave them on and put the mixture (after it has cooled) in my Ninja and pulse until everything is still a little chunky but well mixed together.  I then put it in quart size freezer bags and put in freezer.  For the marinara sauce, I used the ingredients in this recipe http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/2011/11/slow-cooker-marinara-515-recipe-040.html found on pinterest.  I mixed all the ingredients including my quart of tomatoes and let it simmer on the stove  while I prepared the chicken according to the chicken parmesan recipe.  When it got about 20 minutes before the chicken was done, I prepared the whole wheat spaghetti.  After 6 hours, this was a GREAT flavor sensation.  I believe the marinara sauce made all the difference.  You must try this recipe if you are looking for something easy and tasty and won't heat up the house.




No comments:

Post a Comment