here are the recipes for the cornbread found on pinterest and here: http://www.closetcooking.com/2011/12/jalapeno-cornbread.html and the peas found on Allrecipes.com and here http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-spicy-black-eyed-peas/detail.aspx :
Butter milk cornbread with the spicy hit of jalapenos!
Servings: makes 4-12 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup buttermilk (or milk) - I used almond milk but I have also made it using regular milk and adding vinegar to make it buttermilk
- 1/4 cup oil, butter or bacon grease
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar - I used splenda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
- Mix the buttermilk, oil and eggs.
- Mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the dry ingredients in to the wet and then mix in the jalapeno peppers.
- Pour the Mixture into a grease 9x5 inch loaf pan and bake in a preheated 375F oven until a toothpick pushed in the center comes out clean, about 30-40 minutes.
Slow Cooker Spicy Black-Eyed Peas
- 6 cups water
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas, sorted and rinsed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
- 8 ounces diced ham (didn't have any, so used mesquite smoked sausage)
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pour the water into a slow cooker, add the bouillon cube, and stir to dissolve. Combine the black-eyed peas, onion, garlic, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, ham, bacon, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, and pepper; stir to blend. Cover the slow cooker and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours until the beans are tender.